A man was taken into custody following a Target stabbing at a store in Pittsburgh.
Police say the suspect stabbed three people. The incident began outside the store when the unidentified man slashed another man's face with a knife and then ran into the store, reports the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Two men then followed the suspect into the store looking for him.
The knife-wielding suspect then chased one of the men and grabbed a 16-year-old female bystander. The girl was stabbed in the back and arm.
When police arrived at the scene, they subdued the suspect with a stun gun and pepper-sprayed him, reports the Post-Gazette. Police say that none of the injuries to the victims are life-threatening.
It is still not clear what charges the suspect faces. However, it is probably a good bet that he will face assault and battery charges. And given the fact that he allegedly used a knife and caused serious injuries to his victims, he could face aggravated charges for the attack.
In Pennsylvania, someone can be charged with aggravated assault in certain circumstances. These can include:
- Attempting to cause serious bodily injury to another, or actually causing such injury intentionally, knowingly or recklessly;
- Causing bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon; or
- Causing bodily injury to a peace officer.
The suspect in the Target stabbing appears to meet several criteria for aggravated charges. But until more facts about the incident are released, it's not a sure thing that he will be convicted.
While a wild stabbing spree inside a Target may seem extreme, it does appear that some of the men involved may have chased the suspect into the store. If this is the case, the suspect may have a possible self-defense argument to some of the stabbings. However, he may have difficulty explaining away the stabbing of the 16-year-old girl.
Someone who is convicted of aggravated assault faces first-degree felony charges in Pennsylvania, and could face up to 20 years in prison. The Target stabbing suspect is currently being held at the Allegheny County Jail.
- 3 people stabbed in Pa. Target store; man arrested (The Associated Press)
- Man Stabbed Outside Planned Parenthood (FindLaw's Blotter)
- Nordstrom Must Pay $1.6M to Customers Stabbed (FindLaw's Injured)
- Wannabe Jedi Master Jailed for Lightsaber Attack at Toys 'R' Us (FindLaw's Legally Weird)