Want a front-row seat to one of the California Supreme Court's rare hearings outside the courthouse? If you're a law student, you're in luck.
Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye announced that the California Supreme Court will hold a special oral argument session on Wednesday, September 7, 2011, at the University of California Hastings College of the Law, 200 McAllister Street, San Francisco.
Hundreds of law school students are expected to attend morning and afternoon oral argument sessions in the Justice Marvin and Jane Baxter Appellate Justice Center.
There are four cases on the docket for the Hastings College of Law hearing:
- People v. Vang (Xue) et al. Petition for review after the Court of Appeal modified and affirmed a judgment of conviction of a criminal offense. The court limited review to the following issues: (1) Did the Court of Appeal correctly find that the trial court erred in permitting the use of hypothetical questions of the prosecution expert witness? (2) If so, did the Court of Appeal correctly find the error to be harmless?
- Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority v. Alameda Produce Market LLC et al. Does a lender’s withdrawal of a portion of the deposit of probable compensation in an eminent domain proceeding effect a waiver under Code of Civil Procedure section1255.260 of the property owner’s right to challenge the taking?
- Serrano et al. v. Stefan Merli Plastering Co., Inc. et al. Is plaintiff eligible for an award of attorney fees under the private attorney general doctrine based on a successful challenge to a court reporter’s service charges that established legal precedent?
- People v. Mendoza. Automatic appeal to a death penalty sentence.
The September 7 hearing marks the first time in recent history that the state’s high court has held oral argument at Hastings College of Law. Opening remarks will be made by Chief Justice Cantil-Sakauye and Frank H. Wu, Chancellor and Dean of U.C. Hastings.
For ongoing coverage of the California Supreme Court and special hearings, check out FindLaw’s California Case Law blog.
- Brown Nominates Liu for Supreme Court (FindLaw’s California Case Law blog)
- Supreme Court Schedules Proposition 8 Standing Hearing (FindLaw’s California Case Law blog)
- People v. Vang (Xue) (California Supreme Court)
- California Courts website (California Supreme Court)