Kim Kardashian's divorce from Kris Humphries probably won't be as lavish as the $10 million wedding. The reality TV starlet is splitting from her NBA beau just 72 days after they were married in front of friends, loved ones, and E! cameras.
The divorce has been confirmed by Ryan Seacrest, the executive producer of "Keeping Up With the Kardashians."
Reports indicate that Kardashian will file for divorce, not an annulment, citing the ever-vague "irreconcilable differences."
It computes that Kardashian and Humphries aren't seeking an annulment. Annulment functions similar to a divorce: both dissolve a marriage. Unlike divorce, annulment treats a marriage as if it never existed.
Typically, marriage annulments are handed down under certain circumstances:
- There was fraud or misrepresentation.
- One of the spouses concealed an important fact, such as the existence of prior children.
- There was a substantial misunderstanding, such as the mutual desire to have children.
- One of the spouses is incurably impotent. Or it turns out the two spouses are related.
- There was a lack of consent when entering into the marriage, such as the existence of coercion or threats. Or, if one of the parties lacked the mental capacity for consent to enter into a marriage. This can happen if one of the spouses was insane or intoxicated at the time.
The Kardashians' existence is far from ordinary, but it doesn't seem like Kim's marriage to Kris fits under any of these annulment categories.
In fact, their problems seem typical of a celebrity couple. Reports are that Kardashian is busy with her reality TV shows and business ventures, while Kris is busy partying during the NBA lockout, reports Us Weekly.
And Kim Kardashian's divorce might have something to do with the speed at which her relationship with Kris Humphries progressed. The pair married after just nine months of dating.
- Kim Kardashian Divorce: What's Kris Humphries Future? (Huffington Post)
- How Marriage Annulments Differ from Divorces and the Grounds for Obtaining a Marriage Annulment (FindLaw)
- Kim Kardashian's Prenuptial Agreement with Kris Humphries (FindLaw's Celebrity Justice)
- Kim Kardashian and Bret Lockett: Affair or Lie? (FindLaw's Celebrity Justice)