Thousands of viewers tuned in to watch sisterly antics and the rapid disintegration of Kim Kardashian's marriage on the reality show Kourtney and Kim Take New York. Now, reports are surfacing that Kris Humphries wants an annulment - not a divorce - from Kim and their 72-day marriage.
Humphries is said to be going forward with filing the necessary legal papers within a few days.
Kardashian fans might be wondering why Humphries wants an annulment rather than divorce. The short answer? That annulments mean the marriage was never valid to begin with. Getting an annulment will make the marriage nonexistent, as if it'd never happened.
Maybe that's what Humphries wishes after watching in "utter horror" at the way he way he was portrayed on the recent episode of Kourtney and Kim.
Humphries may face a rough legal road. Annulments are rare, and can only be given in certain cases. Usually, one of these conditions must exist:
- Temporary insanity: If one of the parties was either mentally ill or insane, the marriage may be void. This is because that individual would have been incapable of forming the mental capacity to enter into a marriage. Perhaps Humphries is thinking of filing that he was temporarily insane when he married into the Kardashian clan?
- Fraud: Marriages may also be annulled if there was fraud, such as if one party lied in order to induce the other to marry.
- Concealment: Annulments may be granted in some situations where one party concealed an important fact (felony convictions, children) about themselves.
There are several other conditions that could trigger an annulment. And for now, it's unclear what Kris Humphries' annulment filing will read. Since earlier reports touted that Kim Kardashian's marriage was nothing more than a publicity stunt, perhaps Humphries will be claiming fraud.
- Kris Humphries seeks to annul marriage to Kim Kardashian in effort to avoid divorce (New York Daily News)
- Annulments - Overview (FindLaw)
- Kim Kardashian's Divorce Comes 72 Days after $10M Wedding (FindLaw's Celebrity Justice)
- Kim Kardashian Sues Jonathan Jaxson: Ex-Publicist Called Marriage a Sham (FindLaw's Celebrity Justice)