First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes ... a high-profile, multi-million dollar divorce? Celebrities get married all the time. They also split up just as often. This year was no different -- there was no shortage of big celebrity divorce stories in 2011.
What makes each of these divorce stories so "big"? Some were simply dramatic. Others were just expensive. Below, we've rounded out the top 5 biggest celeb breakups of this year.
5. Maria Shriver called it quits with the Terminator.
Maria Shriver's divorce from Arnold Schwarzenegger carried all the essential elements of a juicy story: infidelity, a secret lovechild, and politics.
4. Vanessa Bryant decided to stop playing the part of the good wife to husband Kobe Bryant.
Vanessa Bryant stuck by her husband through a high-profile trial where he was accused of sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman in 2002. Not many wives would do so. Yet, their marriage could not endure years of Kobe's womanizing ways. Infidelity was the reported reason behind their divorce.
3. Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore ended their 6-year-marriage.
2. Kelsey Grammer divorced his reality star wife, Camille Grammer.
Grammer's divorce makes the cut at No. 2. He not only had an affair, but he had one when his now ex-wife Camille starred on the reality show Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. Not a good idea for Grammer, considering she talked about his cheating ways on national television during the show's season finale.
1. Kim Kardashian split with Kris Humphries after just 72 days.
Celebrities take marriage seriously. That's why they get divorced after 72 days of wedded bliss. The Kardashian/Humphries divorce takes the top spot as the biggest celebrity divorce in 2011 because it created a media firestorm and spurred speculation that it was all just a big fraud.
- Celebrity weddings -- and divorces -- of 2011 (Washington Post)
- Divorce Property Division FAQ (FindLaw)
- Jenna Lyons' Divorce: J. Crew Exec's Ugly Court Battle (FindLaw's Celebrity Justice)
- Paul McCartney Weds Nancy Shevell: Prenup Signed this Time? (FindLaw's Celebrity Justice)