What can we learn from celebrity divorce lawyers? Family law attorney Laura Wasser, who's represented a number of stars' divorces -- from Britney Spears to Kim Kardashian to Ryan Reynolds -- has a few things to say, E! News reports.
Wasser's new book, "It Doesn't Have to Be That Way: How to Divorce Without Destroying Your Family or Bankrupting Yourself," is chock full of her knowledge obtained over the years of representing many a red carpet-walking A-lister.
But, celebrities are still civilians, and divorce, unfortunately, can happen to anyone. Here are some legal takeaway lessons from Wasser's book:
- Treat it like a business transaction. One of Wasser's baseline philosophies is to treat a divorce like a business transaction, according to E! News. "I tell clients let's do this in a way that we can keep your sanity and your bank accounts intact," Wasser says. "There's no reason to turn this into some kind of a melodrama -- particularly if you're a famous person, because we know it's all going to get played out through the media." Also, don't forget that these days that stage for drama also includes social media.
- It's going to take time. Divorces may take a while to complete because there's so much information to compile and exchange. On top of that, both parties have to be completely on board (which is often not the case) in order for this to play out as efficiently as possible. Have realistic expectations.
- Don't forget your children. In the midst of fighting for full custody rights of the children, don't forget that prioritizing your children involves much more than that. Don't get lost in the battle, but remember to prioritize child custody and support.
- Unenforceable pre-nup clauses. Remember that not every clause that's included in the prenup will be enforceable. This includes any type of "cheating" clause or other more "creative" clauses (a sex/chore requirement, for example) that the courts would never uphold.
Regardless of whether or not you are a famous celebrity, divorce is not an easy matter to get through. Speaking to an experienced divorce attorney can help ease the burden of an already painful split.
- Laura Wasser, Celebrity Divorce Lawyer, Shares Top 10 Rules Divorcing Couples Should Follow (The Huffington Post)
- 10 Common Divorce Mistakes to Avoid (FindLaw's Law and Daily Life)
- Top 5 Parenting Tips During Divorce (FindLaw's Law and Daily Life)
- In Kim Kardashian Divorce, Kris Humphries Gets Nothing: Report (FindLaw's Celebrity Justice)