Ray J is facing a slew of misdemeanor charges, including sexual battery, for allegedly grabbing a woman's breast in the lobby of a Beverly Hills hotel.
Ray J, born William Ray Norwood Jr., was arrested May 30 at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel after an altercation at the hotel bar and a struggle with police. TMZ reports that although police originally believed Ray J "incidentally" touched a woman's butt during the incident, new evidence points to the singer grabbing a woman's breast.
With this new evidence, what is Ray J facing?
Fool Us Once...
Shortly after Ray J's arrest, Celebrity Justice reported on the potential sexual battery charges that Ray J was facing, based on the allegations that he may have made "incidental" contact with a woman's butt. Apparently this butt-touching story was not the last word on the topic.
TMZ reports that law enforcement has "new evidence" -- which several witnesses have allegedly corroborated -- that Ray J didn't go for the derriere, he went for the top shelf. And not just at the bar. You may remember that misdemeanor sexual battery in California occurs when:
- A person touches the intimate part of another person;
- Against the will of the person touched; and
- For the purpose of sexual arousal, gratification, or abuse.
Whether it was a breast or buttocks, it's still an "intimate part" of Ray J's victim. The only part that will make a difference in Ray J's case is whether he can prove the alleged touching was not for any sort of sexual purpose (e.g., it was an accident).
More Troubling Allegations Remain
Even moving the breast-grabbing allegations to the side, Ray J still faces three other misdemeanor charges stemming from the hotel incident:
- Resisting arrest. As fellow celebrity troublemaker Justin Bieber could have told Ray J, even passively resisting arrest can be a crime.
- Assault and battery. Ray J allegedly spat on an officer, which may explain the assault and battery charge.
- Vandalism. TMZ reports that the singer kicked out the window of a police car. Generally, property damage can be charged as vandalism.
Ray J is set to be arraigned for these charges on Friday, but TMZ reports he is not required to appear. Many of these charges could involve jail time, so Ray J's attorneys may try to get him community service.
- Singer Ray J Norwood charged with sexual battery, vandalism, resisting arrest (CNN)
- Celebrity Chefs Dealing With Sexual Harassment Lawsuits (Celebrity Justice)
- 'Scandal's' Columbus Short Arrested for Felony Battery (FindLaw's Celebrity Justice)
- Prankster Rushes Brad Pitt at 'Maleficent' Premiere, Gets Arrested (FindLaw's Celebrity Justice)