All those billable hours have you thinking about a radical change of scenery? Você fala português? How about following some of the many U.S. Law firms heading to Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Think about it, you'll be close to rain forests, tropical weather and exotic animals. What more could you ask for?
Take Davis Polk, it recently announced it will open an office in Sao Paulo, Brazil once Brazilian authorities approve the move, according to Businesswire. The office will be led by two partners.
So how do get in on the Brazil boom? There are currently 20 U.S. law firms already in Brazil, including:
- Allen & Overy,
- Chadbourne & Parke,
- DLA Piper,
- Gibson Dunn & Crutcher,
- Milbank Tweed
- Hadley & McCloy,
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett and
- Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom
US attorneys can practice US law in Brazil by providing proof of the following:
- a Brazilian residence visa
- be qualified to practice U.S. Law
- good conduct and standing with your state bar
- have not suffered disciplinary punishment by your state bar
- you have not been convicted of criminal prosecution
- evidence of reciprocity in dealing with Brazilian lawyers in your home state.
This is how the site is translated from the "Order of Attorneys Brazil" web site.
- Dutch Law Firm Uses Video Game to Evaluate Law Graduates' Talent (FindLaw's Greedy Associates)
- Toasted Skin Syndrome: Laptop Addicts Beware (FindLaw's Greedy Associates)
- 111 Ways to Find Your Next Legal or Non-Legal Job (FindLaw's Greedy Associates)
- Brazilian Law Resources (Findlaw.com)
- Sao Paulo (Saopaulo.com)