There are only a matter of days until the new semester starts for law school students so it's time to cram in as much relaxation time as possible. It's too hot to move outside so make your home into a private movie theater and enjoy your last few days of free time with a movie marathon.
In the interest of maximum time efficiency (because who doesn't want to do more with their time) that movie time can also be used to psych yourself up for the coming semester.
The legal world is endlessly fascinating to the entertainment industry. From all those options, we've compiled a list of the Top 5 must-see movies for law students. From comedy to drama, romance to thriller, we've got something for everyone.
- The Paper Chase. Chances are people have been recommending this movie since you first suggested you might possibly be considering law school. It's a classic for a reason and you should see it at least once before you graduate.
- The Pelican Brief. Ok, Julia Roberts is the ultimate gunner in this movie, but it's still a fun and suspenseful ride through the potential (re: highly improbable) impact of legal analysis. We can't say your law review note will inspire a hit on you, but after seeing this, we can't say it won't either.
- Legally Blonde. Say what you will about this lightweight rom-com but it does show an amusing side of law school. It may be overly pink but the movie does show that criminal defense can be funny (and fashionable). Be sure to pay attention to Elle Woods's LSAT score and then feel free to scoff at the directors.
- The Firm. No one knows what to expect from a new job but it's safe to say your experience won't be like Tom Cruise's in this thriller. Even if it's not a believable story of life at a firm, its entertainment value more than makes up for it.
- Michael Clayton. The movie follows a high-powered corporate firm and despite some unnecessary drama, it's not a terrible representation of life at a big firm. George Clooney will not be working with you and the firm probably won't go under from one mistake but it does show a remarkably honest side of corporate law culture.
So before the new law school semester starts, invite some friends over and get some popcorn ready. These movies won't watch themselves.
- The 25 Greatest Legal Movies (ABA Journal)
- "A Law School Carol" Sings the Law School Blues (FindLaw's Greedy Associates)
- 14 Things I Wish I Had Known When Graduating From Law School (FindLaw's Greedy Associates)