Electronic Cigarette Explodes in Man's Mouth - Injured
Injured - The FindLaw Accident, Injury and Tort Law Blog

Electronic Cigarette Explodes in Man's Mouth

An electronic cigarette exploded in a Florida man's mouth, causing disfiguring injuries and burns, firefighters say. A defective product lawsuit is likely.

Tom Holloway, 57, of Niceville, Fla., lost some front teeth and part of his tongue in the e-cigarette explosion, the Associated Press reports. He also suffered burns to his face.

The blast can be blamed on the e-cigarette's battery, firefighters said. "The best analogy is like it was trying to hold a bottle rocket in your mouth when it went off," one firefighter told the AP.

Injury Claim? You may be entitled to compensation!

The electronic cigarette explosion happened Feb. 13. Holloway was trying to quit smoking by using an e-cigarette, a battery-powered cigarette that delivers tobacco vapor instead of smoke. Somehow the e-cig’s tiny battery blew up, firefighters say.

The brand of e-cigarette and type of battery are not yet known, investigators told the AP. But a trade-industry expert said he had not heard of any similar problems among the 2.5 million Americans who used e-cigarettes last year.

As Tom Holloway recovers from the electronic cigarette explosion, he may be considering a products liability lawsuit. The suit could allege a design defect — that injuries caused by a product could have been avoided by adopting a different design.

The suit could also allege a manufacturing defect — an error in the process of making the product; strict liability generally applies in those cases. Holloway may also be able to pursue a claim under an implied warranty of merchantability — that a product sold is in good working order.

Tom Holloway is recovering at a burn center, his neighbor told local WEAR-TV. The electronic cigarette explosion victim, possibly the nation’s first, is also a Vietnam vet and a father of three.

Related Resources: