This year's most popular Injured posts entail a wide variety of personal injury issues, ranging from fatal bike and roller coaster accidents to the first deaths at Tough Mudder and Cirque du Soleil.
Without further ado, here are the Top 10 posts from our Injured blog in 2013:
- Coach Dies in Freak Bike Accident at School: A popular track and field coach at a California high school died after being impaled by a partially open metal gate in the school parking lot, raising a slew of potential premises liability issues.
- Sober Man's DUI Arrest Leads to $500K Claim: An Arizona man filed a $500,000 claim against local police, alleging the police falsely arrested him for a DUI when he was ostensively stone-cold sober. His suspicions: He was allegedly cuffed for a "DWB," or "Driving While Black."
- Cirque du Soleil Accident: Performer Dies on Stage: Aerial performer Sarah Guillot Guyard plunged to her death on-stage after her wire snapped during a "KA" show at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The tragic accident marked the first death of a performer during a show in Cirque du Soleil's 29-year history.
- Tough Mudder Death Is 1st Since Race Began: 28-year-old Avishek Sengupta of Maryland drowned during a race in West Virginia, making him the first Tough Mudder participant to die during the popular endurance challenge.
- Fourth of July Accident: Fireworks Injure 28: A Fourth of July fireworks show was less "oohs and ahs" than "oohs and ows" when the planned fireworks display detonated on the ground and sent more than two dozen people to the hospital.
- 5 Ways to Prove Emotional Distress: Making a successful claim for emotional distress is no easy feat. Success will depend on the injury's intensity, duration, related physical harm, underlying cause, and medical documentation.
- How Do You Sue a School District?: Suing a school district is an uphill battle for plaintiffs and involves a complex legal process, but it's a course of action school employees, parents and families can take under certain circumstances.
- Is There a Statute of Limitations for Car Accidents?: The time limit to bring a lawsuit stemming from a car accident depends on many factors, including the type(s) of injury involved and the state you're in.
- Unwanted Facebook Photo: Invasion of Privacy?: If someone takes a picture of you and posts it on Facebook without your permission, there are a few ways to claim invasion of privacy in a lawsuit.
- Six Flags Death: Woman Falls From Coaster: A tragic Six Flags accident raised wrongful death issues when a Dallas woman died after falling from a 14-story roller coaster called the "Texas Giant."
Here's to a safer 2014.
- Top 5 Holiday Decoration Injuries to Avoid (FindLaw's Injured)
- Top 5 Black Friday Shopping Injuries (FindLaw's Injured)
- Top 3 Space Heater Injury Risks (FindLaw's Injured)
- Holiday Decoration Injuries: 15K ER Visits in 2012 (FindLaw's Injured)