Injured - The FindLaw Accident, Injury and Tort Law Blog

Too Hot! Woman Sues Victoria's Secret Over Flammable Hoodie

It's not too surprising when Victoria's Secret racy lingerie sparks some romantic flames. A little more surprising is when a less revealing hoodie from the company's PINK apparel line literally catches fire.

Samantha Burke claims that a hoodie, t-shirt, and bra she purchased from Victoria's Secret "burst into flame while she cooked, resulting in sever and irreparable injury to her body." She is now suing the company, alleging that she "will bear the scars on her body, and in her memory, forever."

"She Screamed"

According to her lawsuit, Burke was heating up on the stove for her and her husband one evening:

While moving the soup from burner to countertop, Samantha Burke smelled something burning and realized that the drawstring on her Victoria's Secret PINK hoodie had caught fire. She set the soup down so she could immediately put out the fire on the drawstring. As she set the soup on her counter, she saw flames on the right side of her body. The Victoria's Secret Apparel was on fire and was burning her. She recalls seeing the flames, recalls the intensity of the fire, heat and pain, and recalls being in a state of shock.

Burke screamed for help from her husband, and together they finally put out the flames, but not before she suffered third-degree burns requiring skin grafts and weeks in an airplane splint that forced Burke into a consistently painful posture.

"Haunted by Nightmares"

Since the incident, Burke claims her sleeping is "haunted by nightmares of being trapped in fire in her home," her skin, which has reached "maximum improvement" yet remains "charred, disfigured [and] scarred," and she "cannot 'Live Cool. Live Comfy.,' the lifestyle and experience marketed by Victoria's Secret PINK."

Burke is suing for damages, prejudgment interests, and court costs.

Related Resources: