The Grammy-award winning singer with a stormy past-- who busted charts with "Don't Be Cruel", "Every Little Step", and "My Prerogative"-- is $45,000 in arrears for owing child support to former girlfriend Kim Ward. And now the R&B singer-songwriter has something new to add to his collection.
An arrest warrant.
Massachusett's Norfolk County Probate and Family Court will be ready for Bobby Brown next time he rolls through town. This after he failed to appear for a June 29th court date on a child support contempt complaint. Brown is overdue in his $5,000 monthly child support payment for the two teenage children he has with his former girlfriend.
Bobby Brown may be singing a tune of deja vu since he was jailed for four days in 2007 for owed child support to Ward. Same offense, with different numbers. At that time, he was dinged for falling behind by nearly $30,000 in monthly payments, along with medical bills and other allowances.
Paying or owing child support has not slowed down the former Mr. Whitney Houston. He celebrated the birth of his fifth child in June.
- wage deduction orders: a common action in which a court orders an employer to send a portion of wages to a state agency which then diverts the money to the parent who is owed child support payments. This wage garnishment is automatic and can take effect immediately unless an agreement states otherwise.
- tax refunds: owed child support can also be taken out of any tax refund that the owing parent is due. And states can place liens on houses and cars to recover unpaid bills.
- license revocation: a driver's license and/or professional license can be the seized until child supports payments are made.
- contempt of court: contempt of court is reserved for situations in which an individual willfully chooses not to do something he or she was ordered to do by court. This is used to compel payment, especially since it can involve a fine, jail time, or both.
If you find yourself owing child support, even Bobby probably agrees that you should just "Rock Wit" the court order, and pay up.
- Arrest warrant issued in Mass. for Bobby Brown (AP)
- Arrest warrant issued for deadbeat Bobby Brown (Boston Herald)
- Unpaid Child Support and Enforcement (FindLaw)
- Getting Your Spouse to Pay Child Support FAQ (FindLaw)
- Modifications & Contempt (provided by Ronald E Dobelstein PC)
- Family Law FAQ (provided by Anthony C Starks Law Office)
***Update: Please note that the title should read "Arrest Warrant Issued for Bobby Brown on Contempt Charges".