International Kissing Day is an unofficial holiday that began in Britain as National Kissing Day, but has since become celebrated worldwide as International Kissing Day.
And whatever you call it, it can't be denied that more or less everyone enjoys a good kiss every once in awhile. But what about a bad kiss? Well, those can often be less than enjoyable, and sometimes even illegal.
For International Kissing Day, here are our five favorite stories of smooches gone wrong -- and the legal consequences that followed:
- Valentine's Day love bite. An Illinois woman bit off a chunk of her boyfriend's tongue following a Valentine's Day lovers' quarrel. Doctors were unable to attach the severed portion of the man's tongue, and the woman was charged with aggravated assault.
- Butt-kissing baller gets rebuffed. A Florida man propositioned multiple women with offers of cash in exchange for an opportunity to kiss their rear-ends, and not in the figurative sense. The man's solicitations were not only unsuccessful, but they were also likely criminal under a Florida law prohibiting the solicitation of lewd acts.
- Mama's boy. A New York inmate went to some pretty exceptional lengths to score some pills behind bars when he reportedly French-kissed his own mother, who passed the pills from her mouth to his. Besides just being gross, the incident earned both he and his mother charges of promoting prison contraband.
- Hell hath no fury... A scorned 92-year-old Florida woman shot up her neighbor's house with a semi-automatic rifle after the neighbor denied her a kiss. The woman was charged with assault with a deadly weapon.
- Cop kisser. Police responded to a call of two neighbors involved in an altercation. When officers arrived, one of the neighbors, a 62-year-old woman, thought it would be a good idea to kiss one of the officers on the nose. Turns out, it wasn't. The woman was arrested and charged with felony battery for the unauthorized smooch.
Happy International Kissing Day! Enjoy and be safe; you don't want to make our list next year.
- Summer Camp Sued for $600K Over Alleged 'Kissy-Fit' (FindLaw's Legally Weird)
- 'L Word' Star Leisha Hailey Thrown off Plane for Kissing Girlfriend (FindLaw's Celebrity Justice)
- The 5 Strangest Ways to Attack Your Spouse (FindLaw's Legally Weird)
- Is It OK to Hug People at Work? (FindLaw's Free Enterprise)