Immigration Law News - Law and Daily Life

Law & Daily Life - The FindLaw Life, Family and Workplace Law Blog

Recently in Immigration Law Category

Canadians are friendly, and that's not just a stereotype. But that also doesn't mean that their borders are any less secure than our own. There are strict requirements for identification to cross the Canadian border as well as stringent controls on what you can bring into and out of the country.

So whether you're headed for work or a weekend getaway, by boat, car, train, or plane, here's what you need to know about crossing the Canadian border:

The Permanent Resident Card or green card process can seem overwhelming -- the qualification, the documentation, and, of course, the forms you'll need to fill out. One of those forms is the G-325A, Biographic Information form, which seeks background information on the applicant like family names and former residences and places of employment.

While much of the G-325A is self-explanatory, there can be sections and questions that are daunting or just confusing. Here's what you need to know about filling out a form G-325A.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection has the unenviable task of patrolling over 7,500 miles of territory between the United States, Canada, and Mexico. It is responsible for everything from monitoring import and export of goods, to preventing drug smuggling. The agency also has an enormous role in enforcing immigration laws.

The Department of Homeland Security estimates more than 500 million people cross American borders every year, each one coming in contact with border patrol in some fashion. So here are five things you need to know about U.S. Border Patrol.

Parents aren't the only ones headed on vacation or to visit family in other countries. And they're not the only ones who need a passport to do so. So you may need to get a passport for your minor child in order to travel internationally.

But can you get a passport for an infant? What documents do you need for a passport? And do both parents need to consent? Here's what you need to know about getting a passport for your child.

#USImmigrationLaw: What Does Changed Circumstances Mean?

Asylum is a form of humanitarian relief available to people who face persecution in their home countries based on specific criteria. Although affirmative asylum applications must be filed within one year of arrival in the United States, changed circumstances are an exception to the general rule.

A person may leave home and experience changes in their personal circumstances that make it impossible to safely return, or conditions in a country may transform, becoming dangerous. Immigration law recognizes that in some situations, changed circumstances necessitate filing an asylum application after the one-year deadline has passed. Let's consider.

#USImmigrationLaw: Affirmative and Defensive Asylum Applications

Asylum is a humanitarian form of immigration relief. It is available only to those who have experienced particular kinds of persecution. There are two types of asylum applications, affirmative and defensive. They are similar but arise under different circumstances.

An affirmative asylum application is for a person who comes to the U.S. and actively seeks relief within one year of entry in the country. Defensive asylum applications are for people who are placed in removal proceedings and seek to remain in the country, defending against deportation with a humanitarian claim. Asylum claims are complicated, whether affirmative or defensive, so let's consider the basics.

#USImmigrationLaw: What Is a Sham Marriage?

A sham marriage is a union that was entered into fraudulently for the purposes of obtaining immigration benefits. If you get married because you want to become an American, and that is the basis for the marriage rather than a love story, your marriage is a sham.

Not every person who marries a US citizen can obtain a green card and citizenship ultimately. Those who marry for the benefit exclusively will be denied if their fraud is suspected and uncovered. The consequences could be dire, including deportation and incarceration.

You got a visa so that you could enter the United States lawfully and return without trouble. But now the clock is ticking and your visa is about to expire, and you're wondering what happens if you stay here anyway.

The consequences of overstaying a visa can be very severe or quite minimal, depending on your circumstances. Of course, your best bet is to try to extend a visa before it expires, and you do have that option, generally speaking. Let's see what else you can do.

#USImmigrationLaw: What Issues Will Affect My Visa?

If you want to come to the US or sponsor someone else's presence here, you should be aware of certain issues that can affect visa receipt. But you should also know from the start that for many rules there are limited exceptions, so depending on individual circumstances what might normally be a bar to receiving a visa could be overcome.

Every immigration case is unique and relies on specifics. Although there are general rules, don't assume you have no options. Speak to an immigration lawyer and let them help, or even meet a few attorneys and compare proposed plans. For now, let's consider general issues that affect a visa.

#USImmigrationLaw: How Do I Do an Immigration Inmate Search?

If you know someone who is being held in immigration detention but you don't know where, you can search for them using an online tool. The US Immigration and Customs Enforcement division has an Online Detainee Locator System (ODLS) that you can use to find someone with only a minimal amount of information.

You can find someone by their A-number (short for alien registration number) and country of birth. This, according to ICE, is the best way to search. But even if you do not know the A-number, you can input a name and birth country and use the tool to locate an inmate in immigration detention. Let's consider what information the tool will provide, and what you will not find.