Ever wonder why in movies, the Dark Knight is always running away from both the Joker and from the police? It's because carrying concealed weapons, being a vigilante, and trespassing are all crimes, even if you are Batman.
Arrested while wearing a Batman suit and carrying what seems like a wide arsenal of weapons, Mark Wayne Williams, 31, is now facing some serious charges stemming from an arrest in Michigan.
Cops were called when Williams was seen hanging off the side of a building at around 12:40 a.m., reports The Petoskey News-Review.
Williams must have had a pretty heavy utility belt, since he's facing charges stemming from:
- Carrying Freeze Plus P, a felony offense
- Concealing a folding steel baton, a felony offense
- Concealing sand-filled (SAP) gloves, a felony offense
- Possessing a dangerous gas-ejective device, a felony offense
- Possessing a bludgeon, a felony offense
- Possessing a sand bag, a felony offense
Holy smokes, Batman! Maybe he should have waited for Robin before scaling the roof while hauling sand bags and bludgeons.
Williams is also facing a misdemeanor for disturbing the peace, reports The Petoskey News-Review. A habitual offender, this marks William's third arrest. And, it appears, he is a familiar figure to some officials.
"We've had contact with him in the past where he's made himself up to look like that Crow character, who's also a comic book character," said public safety director John Calabrese to The Petoskey News-Review.
The caped crusader, however, reiterates his innocence. "I realize this is a serious offense. I honestly had no idea the items I was holding are illegal. I did not intend to harm anyone with those items. I swear that," Williams said in court during his arraignment, according to The Petoskey News-Review.
Poor Batman! Arrested, and with his secret identity revealed. Mark Wayne Williams will be making his next court appearance on May 23.
- Man dressed as Batman charged with trespassing (Detroit Free Press)
- Real Life Superhero: Is Phoenix Jones Seattle's Batman? (FindLaw's Legal Grounds)
- Thieves Return Superman Historical Marker (FindLaw's Legal Grounds)