Do you know some of the things that are illegal on planes - or that can get you summarily kicked off a plane?
There are actually a lot of weird things (and also some not-so-weird things) that can get you in trouble with an airline.
Here is a list of 5 things that have been proven from past passengers to get you kicked off a plane:
- Do not masturbate on the plane. This seems like it should be a given - especially because masturbating anywhere in public is likely to break some sort of obscenity or indecency law. Despite this being a seemingly no-brainer, Kyle Pearce, 25, was arrested for masturbating on a United Airlines flight going to Colorado in May.
- Do not be naked - or strip naked. This rule is very similar to the previous one about not masturbating. Don't strip naked - it's also probably breaking some sort of obscenity or indecency law. A man stripped naked on a Spanish airline, causing the pilot to turn around to the airport.
- Don't use the f-word loudly. Easier said than done, if you're too disruptive toward other passengers, or even to flight attendants, an airline might eject you from the plane. One man was kicked off an Atlantic Southeast Airlines flight after saying the f-word in exasperation over the delay.
- Do not pick a fight with other passengers. Assault and battery on a flight is the same as an assault and battery on the ground - it can not only be disruptive, but potentially illegal. Though unfortunately, a tightly packed airplane filled with passengers crammed into tiny seats - and constant delays - tend to be a recipe for frustration and violence.
- Do not pick a fight with the flight attendants. Say the flight attendant tells you to put up your tray or your seat. You should probably follow the directions - though some directions may be harder to follow. Picking a fight with the flight attendant, like picking a fight with other passengers, can be illegal if the fight escalates to assault or battery.
Keep these tips in mind and remember what's illegal on planes - and maybe you won't get kicked off the plane next time.
- Grieving passenger's sagging pants lead to arrest (San Francisco Chronicle)
- Jet Blue Flight Attendant Opens Escape Chute, Gets Arrested (FindLaw's Legally Weird)
- Fake Air Marshal Detained by Actual Air Marshal Aboard Plane (FindLaw's Legally Weird)