Tobergta, 34, was arrested in June after being caught in the throes of pool float love-making -- in broad daylight, right in front of several children, The Smoking Gun reports.
What was he guilty of exactly (besides being perhaps a bit too faithful to an inanimate object of desire)?
Far From Decent
For sex with a pool float, Edwin Tobergta pleaded guilty to public indecency. Public indecency falls under the category of indecent exposure laws. In general, such laws make it illegal to intentionally display one's genitals in public, alarming or offending others.
Indecent exposure is usually committed for the sexual gratification of the offender himself, or it can be committed in an attempt to illicit some sort of response from the audience.
Under Ohio's public indecency law, no person shall recklessly do any of the following:
- Expose one's private parts;
- Engage in sexual conduct of masturbation; or
- Engage in conduct that, to an ordinary viewer, would appear to be sexual conduct or masturbation.
Sentenced for Forbidden Love
Generally speaking, indecent exposure convictions usually result in misdemeanor penalties, such as jail time and a fine. However, multiple offenses, as is the case with Tobergta, can lead to a felony conviction and a state prison sentence. In some states, being guilty of a sex offense could also land one's name on the dreaded sex offender registry.
Tobergta has been in jail since being arrested for the most recent incident of sex with a pool float. He is now looking at a maximum sentence of one year in prison when he's sentenced in November.
- Neighbor: Man begged forgiveness when caught having sex with pool raft (Hamilton JournalNews)
- Nude Swimmer Distracts Man in Alleged Burglary Plot (FindLaw's Legally Weird)
- Indiana Police Officer Has Sex in City Pool While Children Watch (FindLaw's Legally Weird)
- Man Tased, Arrested for Running Naked in Ohio Marathon (FindLaw's Legal Grounds)