What happens in Vegas certainly will not stay in Vegas when the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals hears oral arguments Monday, March 19, 2012 at the University of Nevada Las Vegas (UNLV) Boyd School of Law.
The Ninth Circuit will hear arguments in the school's Thomas & Mack Moot Courtroom beginning at 10 a.m.
Circuit Judges Jay S. Bybee of Las Vegas, Richard R. Clifton of Honolulu, and N. Randy Smith of Pocatello, Idaho, will hear appeals of decisions from the District Court for the District of Nevada. While the hearing is open to the public, a photo ID is required to enter the courtroom.
The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals will consider three appeals during the hearing:
- United States v. Rizzolo. Frederick Rizzolo is appealing a revocation of supervised release in a case in which he pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud the United States of taxes.
- Franceschi v. Harrah's Entertainment, Inc. Ernest Franceschi, Jr., an attorney appearing on his own behalf, is appealing the district court's sua sponte dismissal of his diversity action against Harrah's Entertainment, Inc., alleging violations of California's Consumer Legal Remedies Act, common law fraud and deceit. The matter arose after he was permanently barred from playing blackjack at multiple Nevada casinos.
- Myers-Desco v. Lowe's HIW, Inc. EllaMae Myers-Desco is appealing the dismissal of her employment discrimination action against her former employer.
UNLV students and Las Vegas-area lawyers should be excited about meeting the Ninth Circuit judges, and the judges should be just as excited about meeting UNLV Law School Dean John Valery White. (We mean that sincerely. Dean White taught us torts and comparative human rights law. He's a living legend.)
The law school is located at 4505 S. Maryland Parkway in Las Vegas. For questions about visiting the law school this special Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals session contact the Boyd School of Law at (702) 895-3671.
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals to Sit at UNLV Boyd School of Law (Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals)
- Ninth Circuit to Review Judge Richard Cebull's Racist Email (FindLaw's Ninth Circuit Blog)
- Ninth Circuit Announces Improvements to the Court Experience (FindLaw's Ninth Circuit Blog)
- UNLV Boyd School of Law (Official Website)