Next Wednesday, April 23, 2014, is Administrative Professionals Day -- mark your calendars. Yes, you're busy running your firm, managing a case load and rainmaking -- but you need to make time for this day. You've been warned.
No, you don't need to spend a ton of cash, it's the thought that counts (a little), but you probably do need to open up that wallet. Here are a few tips to figure out who to gift, and what to gift.
Whom to Gift on Administrative Professionals Day
Well, you'll definitely want get something for your own admin, but if you are running your own small firm and are the big boss, you may need to find a gift for all the admins in your practice.
If there are a few partners in the firm, and you each have your own admin, you can divvy up the gifts by each attorney gifting their own admin. Or, you can all pitch in and do something together for all the admins. The key is coordination and communication -- preferably before the morning of the 23rd.
Once you've sorted out who you are going to get gifts for, and who is doing the gifting, here are some tips on what to gift.
What to Gift on Administrative Professionals Day
Whatever you do, the general rule for office gifts -- regardless of the holiday -- is to keep it professional, and not too personal. Here are a few ideas that your admin(s) will appreciate.
1. Flowers -- Flowers make a lovely gift and brighten up anyone's day (and office). Just be sure to choose a type of flower that doesn't have a strong fragrance which can overpower the office (and stir up allergies). Also good are plants -- they are the gift that survives (hopefully), while the flowers wither away one week later.
2. Breakfast or Lunch -- Why not cater breakfast or lunch that day for the admins, or depending on the size of your firm, the whole staff? If there are just a few of you, instead of catering, you can go to a local lunch spot for a nice friendly meal.
3. Tokens of Appreciation -- Other nice ideas include chocolates, or spa-related gifts. Just don't give your admin a fake Oscar that says "Best Admin." Please.
4. A Day Off -- Who would say no to a paid day off (besides an employer?). If your practice can swing it, give the admins a day off. It doesn't have to be that day, but they can each choose a different day so as not to affect the running of the firm.
You don't need to take away too much attention from your practice to deal with Administrative Professionals Day, but like most things, you'll be better off if you prepare in advance. But most of all, don't forget to say "Thank you!"
Enjoy the latest legal news from our blogs? Keep up with the latest legal docs on Scribd.
- Gift Giving 101: Holiday Gift Guide for Coworkers (FindLaw's Strategist Blog)
- An Attorney's Guide to Giving a Holiday Bonus (FindLaw's Strategist Blog)
- Valentine's Day in a Small Law Firm: Do's and Don'ts (FindLaw's Strategist Blog)