Ready for June? With only a few more weeks left in this Supreme Court term, there's going to be plenty of reading on the menu before summer break.
But once the June term ends, Supreme Court junkies, after a few weeks of detoxing, are going to be seeking their next fix. Fortunately, there are plenty of books, old and new, to keep you busy until the fall.
Books By Justices
We could never top SCOTUSblog's comprehensive list of 351 books by Supreme Court justices, past and present, because damn, that's a list. The only notable omission (since the list was last updated in 2012), is Ret. Justice Stevens' Six Amendments, which has been the talk of the town (for better or worse) for the last few months.
Last Fall's Reading List
Give us an incomplete grade on this, as we still haven't finished our list from last September:
- The Roberts Court: The Struggle for the Constitution (Marcia Coyle)
- Murder at the Supreme Court: Lethal Crimes and Landmark Cases (Martin Clancy, Tim O'Brien)
- A Wild Justice: The Death and Resurrection of Capital Punishment in America (Evan J. Mandery)
GoodReads Top Five
GoodReads, a great source for book recommendations, has a list of the most popular Supreme Court books amongst its users. Here are their top five:
- The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court (Jeffrey Toobin)
- The Brethren: Inside the Supreme Court (Bob Woodward)
- Scorpions: The Battles and Triumphs of FDR's Great Supreme Court Justices (Noah Feldman)
- The Oath: The Obama White House and the Supreme Court (Jeffrey Toobin)
- Five Chiefs: A Supreme Court Memoir (Ret. Justice John Paul Stevens)
Is any list complete without Gideon's Trumpet?
What's on your list for this summer? Any suggestions for our summer beach reading? Tweet us your favorites @FindLawLP.
- The Supreme Court is Partisan. Should We Care? (FindLaw's U.S. Supreme Court Blog)
- Who Are the Worst Supreme Court Justices of All Time? (FindLaw's U.S. Supreme Court Blog)
- Is Sotomayor 'Finding Her Voice' or Alienating Her Colleagues? (FindLaw's U.S. Supreme Court Blog)
- Top 10 Lawyer Beach Reads for the Unofficial Start to Summer (FindLaw's Greedy Associates Blog)