Google is trying really hard to enter the social media world. The search engine giant recently introduced Google+ as an alternative to Facebook, to mixed results. Now the company has come up with Google Hangouts, which may actually have some utility for attorneys.
Google Hangouts is essentially a videoconferencing tool similar to Skype. However, Google Hangouts has some added benefits that may attract attorneys.
For example, Google Hangouts allows users to talk to 10 people at once without an additional fee, which can be great for lawyer teleconferences. And it has screenshare capabilities, so attorneys can show their screens to clients. Here are three ways Google Hangouts can help any lawyer, as compiled by Attorney at Work:
- Client calls. You can videoconference with clients and save on long distance telephone costs. Videoconferencing offers a lot of benefits over traditional telephone calls as you can have a more personal connection with your client and you can show clients what is on your computer screen.
- Open office hours. What better way to meet potential clients than by setting up office hours. You can advertise an open hour where any prospective client can stop by and chat about their legal issues.
- Webinars. Google Hangouts allows others to view your Hangout without being in the Hangout. In other words, you can give a presentation or webinar online, and users can simply watch as you give your presentation. As you have the capabilities to share what is on your screen, this works real well with Power Point presentations.
Technology is slowly allowing small firm attorneys with limited resources the same capabilities as attorneys at large firms with a wealth of resources. In fact, Google Hangouts may allow attorneys to provide far better customer service than what their larger competitors offer.
- 5 Reasons Google Hangouts Are Cooler Than Skype For Video Chats (Geekwales)
- Attorneys Must Share Dropbox Folders With Care (FindLaw's Technologist)
- Social Networking Brings Big Profits to Businesses (FindLaw's Technologist)