Completing CLE requirements are never at the top of any lawyer's "to-do" list, but the Oklahoma State Bar might change the tide with their cleverly named CLE courses.
Here are three CLE courses you should check out or at the very least, admire the creative titles:
Workplace Bullying: Don't Be That Guy
Date: March 28, 2014 from 12:30-3:50 p.m.
No one ever wants to be "that guy (or gal)" in any situation, so this CLE discusses who are considered workplace bullies and how and where it can occur. The seminar will also look at the legal repercussions of workplace bullying and the do's and don'ts of handling it.
The seminar will be moderated by Mark Hammons and Leah Roper of Hammons, Gowens, Hurst & Associates.
Location: Oklahoma Bar Center 1901 N. Lincoln Blvd, Oklahoma City, OK.
Tuition: $125 and attendees will receive 3 CLE credits.
Uphill at Both Ends - Legal Issues for the Boomer Generation
Date: April 17, 2014, 8:30 a.m.-2:50 p.m.
This CLE will cover:
- Boomer Issues in Employment, Labor and Retirement Law
- Game Changes Coming Soon in Health Care Delivery
- Current Issues in Guardianship and Wards
- Networking lunch
- Recent Changes in Estate and Transfer Tax Practices
- Ethics on Legal Conflicts and Confidentiality in Family Court
- Oklahoma's Remarkable Laws Regulating End of Life
Location: Oklahoma Bar Center
Tuition: $150 for payment received at least four full business days before the event; $175 for payment received within four full business days of the seminar. Participants will receive 6 CLE credits, including 1 for ethics.
Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain: An Oklahoma Environmental Melody
Date: May 22, 2014, 8:30-2:50 p.m.
Perhaps the most cleverly named CLE course of them all also has the best session titles, too. Here's just a few of the gems:
- Shake Rattle and Roll: Hydraulic Fracking -- Rockin' the House?
- Last Dance, Last Chance?: The Tale of the Lesser Prairie Chicken
- Hit Me With Your Best Shot: Using "Sue and Settle" to Affect Agency Action
Location: OSU-Tulsa 700 N. Greenwood Ave, Rm 104, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Tuition: $150 for early-bird registrations and $175 within four full business days of the seminar. Lawyers will receive 6 CLE credits.
If live seminars aren't your thing, there are hundreds of other CLE options for you to pursue. Fair warning: the course titles probably won't be as snazzy.
- Oklahoma Bar Association CLE (Oklahoma Bar Association)
- Utah Court News: District Court Relocation, Upcoming CLE (FindLaw's Tenth Circuit Blog)
- CLE Binge: 3 Last Minute Ways to Complete Your Hours (FindLaw's Greedy Associates)