Block on Trump's Asylum Ban Upheld by Supreme Court
Raising kids can be a very stressful enterprise, and while some women respond by taking a "Cathy"-esque break with chocolates and chardonnay, some become notorious criminals.
Get ready to call your mom and thank her after you read about these 10 notorious criminal moms:
- Susan Smith. This South Carolina mom claimed that she was carjacked with her two children in the back seat in 1994, when in fact she had driven the car into a lake with her toddlers strapped in.
- Andrea Yates. In a case that made the whole country reconsider postpartum depression, Houston resident Yates was convicted of drowning her children one after another during a psychotic break in 2001.
- Nadya "Octomom" Suleman. The incredibly fertile Suleman was under fire for child neglect after keeping her children in squalid conditions despite spending $520 on a haircut.
- Patricia "Tanning Mom" Krentcil. This New Jersey mom gained notoriety last year after she allegedly took her 5-year-old daughter to the tanning salon, where the girl suffered burns.
- Ethel Rosenberg. Half of the infamous husband-and-wife spy team, Rosenberg was executed for trying to steal U.S. nuclear secrets for the Russians in the 1940s.
- Dorothea Puente. Mother and boarding house proprietor Puente was convicted of murder after police in 1988 found seven bodies of tenants she had drugged and suffocated in her yard.
- Jennifer San Marco. A California mom who "went postal," ex-USPS employee Marco shot and killed six workers at a mail processing plant before ending her own life in 2006.
- Francine Hughes. Battered wife and mother Hughes became infamous after she set her husband on fire (a scene that was later re-enacted by Farrah Fawcett in "The Burning Bed") in 1977 and became a touchstone for future spousal murder defense.
- Lauryn Hill. Famous songwriter and Grammy-winner Hill became another mom headed to prison as she was sentenced this week to three months hard time for tax evasion.
- Courtney Love. The notorious widow of Nirvana's Kurt Cobain, Love might not have been the best mom when she was arrested in 2003 for trying to break into a friend's house while she was high.