Hollywood's latest Mad Max (er, Mel) case has taken one step closer to the Thunderdome. It was reported on August 25 that the Mel Gibson domestic violence case file has finally been turned over to the Los Angeles District Attorney for further action.
The ongoing case involves actor Mel Gibson and the mother of his latest child, Oksana Grigorieva. As discussed in prior posts, Grigorieva has accused Gibson of domestic violence and assault, with pictures of injuries to her mouth leaked onto the internet. As also previously written about here, Gibson has allegedly gone into several angry and threatening rants against Grigorieva that were caught on audio recordings. Whether or not the recordings are entirely authentic and whether or not they could be used as evidence in any domestic violence case are still open questions.
At this time, according to the Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department has completed its investigation into the case and has turned the file over to the D.A. District Attorney's office spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons told the Times the office will now decide whether to file charges against Gibson. If charges are filed, Gibson will be arraigned, and preliminary hearings and a trial will be set unless he comes to a plea agreement with prosecutors.
In addition to the domestic violence charges against Mel Gibson, the district attorney will also be looking into allegations that Grigorieva, or possibly someone close to her, was attempting to extort money from the actor. However, those charges are not yet ready to be turned over to the prosecutors. The Times says according to a source, the D.A. is expected to wait until it is before evaluating the allegations against Gibson.