Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Selena Gomez Stalker Case Back in Court for Stay-Away Order

Article Placeholder Image
By Andrew Chow, Esq. on November 23, 2011 12:15 PM

The case against an alleged Selena Gomez stalker has been dismissed, but Gomez's pursuit of a permanent restraining order against the man continues.

A judge Wednesday reissued a temporary restraining order against Thomas Broadnicki, 46. A hearing on whether to make the order permanent was pushed back to Jan. 6.

The temporary order, first issued in October, requires Broadnicki to stay at least 100 yards away from Gomez, her parents, and her assistant.

That should be no problem for Broadnicki, who was arrested last month in connection with allegedly being a Selena Gomez stalker. Broadnicki is currently under a psychiatric hold in a Los Angeles County hospital.

Broadnicki has two previous stalking convictions and a history of mental illness, The Los Angeles Times reported.

The alleged Selena Gomez stalker traveled to Los Angeles from his home near Chicago to meet Gomez, according to Gomez's request for the restraining order. Broadnicki said he'd spoken with God about killing her, and visited Gomez's workplace three times, the Times reported.

Broadnicki's stalking case was dismissed Nov. 16 when a judge said prosecutors failed to show Broadnicki's intent was to instill fear in Gomez, 19, a popular actress and singer who's dating teen icon Justin Bieber.

The intent to cause fear in the victim is a key element of stalking, along with a pattern of harassment or threats.

As for the upcoming hearing on making the temporary restraining order permanent, legal represenatives for both Gomez and Broadnicki will be required to appear in court.

Though it's called a "permanent" restraining order, the maximum duration of the order is different in each state. In California, where the Selena Gomez stalker case is being heard, a permanent restraining order can be enforced for up to three years.

Related Resources: