Did toxic mold kill Brittany Murphy? Her mother thinks so, which is why she's now suing the attorneys that represented Brittany in a suit against the builders of the home in which she died.
Sharon Murphy claims they should have told her about a possible wrongful death suit when the lawsuit settled in January 2011. The law firm of Steiner & Libo also "should have known that Brittany and Simon had died [as] the result of complications associated with the [home]."
Recall that Brittany Murphy and her husband died within months of one another -- both of pneumonia.
If the Brittany Murphy mold lawsuit seems a little strange, it is. Her mother is suing the actress' ex-attorneys, not the builders. Here's a breakdown of why:
But the attorneys didn't know that toxic mold killed Brittany Murphy. The coroner found no evidence of mold during either autopsy, according to the Hollywood Reporter. Sharon Murphy also didn't believe mold was the cause of her daughter's death.
In fact, she refused to allow the L.A. health department to inspect the home at the request of the coroner.
Still, she thinks the attorneys should have deduced that the deaths were related to the home. Their failure to do so potentially cost her a significant amount of cash.
If you're scratching your head, a judge may, too. Which is why there's no telling what a court will do with the Brittany Murphy mold lawsuit