If it takes a village to raise a child, those in the field may tell you that it
takes a network to succeed in public interest law.
Public interest law spans nuanced issues of service, skirts sensitive political ideologies, and involves many moving parts to serve its intended constituents and to make relevant institutional change. And that's why it takes more than a single passionate voice to achieve collaborative harmonies.
If you're on the path to public interest law, consider a fellowship to expand your ever-vital network. And then, get to know these 8 resources very well. It may take time, patience, and work to find your place in the vast world of public interest law, but a place to start is with the simple act of service.
8 Resources Public Interest Law Fellowship Seekers Should Know About:
- PSLawNet Application Deadline Calendar. Register with PSLawNet and then browse through this calendar of hundreds of public interest law fellowships and their deadline dates.
- Equal Justice Works Fellowships. Two-year public interest law fellowships to "afford underrepresented populations effective access to the justice system". Includes salary plus loan repayment assistance.
- Public Interest Law Initiative Fellowships. Offer post-3L internships of 300 hours at one of 50 public interest law agencies. Based in Chicago.
- Equal Justice Works: Summer Corps. For 1L's and 2L's. Opportunity to work 300 hours over the summer to serve low-income and underserved communities.
- Americorps Legal Fellowships. One year, renewable fellowships for postgraduates. Stipend includes living allowance plus education award.
- Skadden Fellowship Foundation. Provides two-year fellowships "to provide civil legal services to the working poor, the elderly, the homeless, the disabled, as well as those deprived of civil or human rights. Fellow is provided with salary and fringe benefits that employees at the sponsoring organization receive.
- Open Society Institute & Soros Foundation Fellowships. Offers information on Soros Justice Fellowships and other fellowship programs in the U.S.
- ABA Pro Bono & Public Service Programs. Links to useful resources including term time fellowships, post-graduate fellowships, and summer fellowships by law school.