Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Search for legal issues
For help near (city, ZIP code or county)
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location

Government 'Hiring' Unpaid Prosecutors

Article Placeholder Image
By William Vogeler, Esq. on December 17, 2018 5:56 AM

If you take a job that doesn't pay, are you actually being hired?

Just saying because the Department of Justice is apparently "hiring" Special Assistant U.S. Attorneys. What they mean is you can work, but you won't get paid.

So yeah, not sure if that's good news or bad news. Here's the job:

'Job Description'

"The U.S. Attorney's Office, Central District of California is currently interviewing for a limited number of one-year term Uncompensated Special Assistant U.S. Attorney (SAUSA) positions within the Criminal Division in Los Angeles, CA," the Justice Department says on its website.

Seems like it should be USAUSA (U for "Uncompensated"), but maybe that would be too much USA. Anyway, apparently the "jobs" have been open for some time.

A SAUSA is primarily responsible for prosecuting misdemeanor and infraction offenses on federal properties. That includes federal buildings, national parks, wildlife refuges, national forests, and other areas, the advertisement says.

Okay, now we're going somewhere. How cool would that be to work in a forest? Oh wait, this is an office job.


"Applicants must possess a J.D. degree, be an active member of the bar (any jurisdiction), and have at least one year post-J.D. experience," the job listing says.

There is a little wiggle room on the bar admission and one-year of experience, on a case-by-case basis. So basically, they'll take anyone who is still alive after law school.



Elie Mystal, writing for Above the Law, says it's "a terrible job." The SAUSA work is "some of the very worst available in a federal prosecutor's office."

That's a matter of opinion, of course. But if you get the job, don't expect to get quarters for the parking meters.

Related Resources:

Find a Lawyer

More Options