Block on Trump's Asylum Ban Upheld by Supreme Court
It's that time of the year -- the "Hey, look at all the cool stuff that happened in the past year" time of the year.
But let's be honest: Most good advice, and many titillating tales, stand the test of time. And most of 2014's posts were of the advice-column variety -- from becoming a general counsel to becoming a better general counsel.
Here are the 10 most popular In House blog posts of 2014:
- Top 4 2014 Trends in Legal Department Project Management -- Whoah! It's 2014. (We know, it's almost 2015, but at the time the post was written...) What will be top tasks you'll have to tackle when managing your legal department this (last) year? (You can play catch-up in 2015. Just sayin'.)
- Betterize Your Vocabulary: 5 Annoying Phrases to Avoid -- It is what it is: a list of phrases that are counter-productive, annoying, or serve no purpose whatsoever.
- In-House Counsel: Don't Let HR Send Nasty Rejection Letters -- In this episode of why lawyers need to review everything every person in your company ever does, an HR manager's nasty rejection letter went viral. C'mon lady -- rejection is hard enough without the nasty attitude.
- How to Become General Counsel: 3 Tips -- Want to make the jump from firm lawyer to GC? Here are three tips to help you jump ship into that brave new world.
- BP Admonished for Tweaking Line Spacing in Court Brief -- Ever bump up your line spacing in elementary school to turn a 1.5-page report into a 2-page report? BP did the opposite, resulting in quite the bench-slapping.
- GCs of the Future Part I -- 'The Fearless Leader' -- As the GC's role expands, what skills do members of the corporate counsel bar think will be the most vital in the future?
- Ex-Xerox GC Sentenced to 15 Years for Ex-Wife's Brutal Beating -- Where would a Top 10 list be without salacious tales of lawyers behaving like inhuman nitwits? (That's about as harsh as I can get on a legal blog, even if we are talking about a man who was convicted of beating his wife nearly to death.) You've gotta wonder which will hurt him more: 15 years in prison or losing $28.6 million in the civil case?
- J.Crew Settles Zip Code Class Action, UPS Headed to SCOTUS -- One of our classic twin-pack posts: J. Crew wrapped up a class action lawsuit over the collection of customers' ZIP codes and the U.S. Supreme Court granted certiorari in the UPS pregnancy discrimination case -- a case that has since been argued at the Court.
- The New Black: Legal Department Operations Managers -- As in-house legal departments grow, so do the many varieties of middle managers. LDO managers are the newest of that breed.
- Becoming General Counsel to a Startup Company -- The most popular post of the year, and one of the first of the year, was a collection of tips and resources for people looking to make the jump from BigLaw to in-house counsel for the next big startup company.
Have a particular favorite In House blog post that didn't make the Top 10 list? Make our days and tell us about it @FindLawLP.