Injured - The FindLaw Accident, Injury and Tort Law Blog

Trending Personal Injury Questions From FindLaw Answers

You've got questions... we've got answers. If you have not yet asked or answered a question in FindLaw's Answers community, what are you waiting for? This amazing free resource supports a dynamic community of legal consumers and attorneys helping each other out. Simple as that.

We see a lot of great questions in our Answers community every day. Here's a look at some recent questions relating to injuries, accident, and torts from our FindLaw Answers boards:

  • My son was badly injured during his high school football practice. He had to undergo extensive surgery and physical therapy -- both of which have proven very expensive and time-consuming (he had to take several weeks off school). Can we sue the school for his injuries?

Unfortunately, it's impossible to give this poster a definitive answer. The outcomes of these types of cases vary dramatically according to the fact of each individual case.

In general, however, school sports injury lawsuits are pretty hit or miss. Because of the uncertain nature of sports injury cases, it's usually a good idea to retain a personal injury attorney, as soon as possible. An experienced attorney will assess the school's negligence, determine the effect signing a participation waiver may have on the school's liability, and research legal precedent to support your child's case.

  • When I was visiting my friend's apartment, I fell and injured my knee when I tripped on some carpet that was coming up on the stairs leading to her apartment. Can I sue her landlord for my injuries?

Landlords have a duty to maintain and keep common areas safe. This poster may have a claim if the landlord knew (or reasonably should have known) that the carpet presented a foreseeable tripping risk. If it was fairly obvious that the broken carpet might cause someone to trip, and the poster could not have reasonably seen the potential danger, the poster should consider speaking with a personal injury attorney. The landlord-tenant laws vary from state to state, and even from city to city, so a local personal injury attorney would be in the best position to advise the poster on the strength of his or her claim according to the relevant laws.

Those are just a couple examples of some of the great personal injury questions our visitors get help resolving every day. If you have a question or have some great advice, make sure you stop by FindLaw Answers today!

Related Resources: