Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

420 is the Unofficial Marijuana Holiday, But it's Still Largely Illegal

By Laura Strachan, Esq. on April 20, 2012 2:05 PM

Medical marijuana and recreational marijuana have been big legal issues for years now. Each side of the legalization debate chimes in with the pros and cons of the plant.

So whether you celebrate the unofficial marijuana holiday on 4/20 or not, FindLaw has a wealth of marijuana-related legal information for everyone.

Here at FindLaw we aim to provide reliable legal information on major legal issues as well as on those issues of interest to our readers. So if partaking in 4/20 interests you, you should be aware of some of the legal consequences you could face: 

Depending on a lot of factors (including your state's laws), you a marijuana possession charge could result in: citations or warnings, probation or community service, fine or imprisonment, or a drivers license suspension.

As a gentle reminder, these are consequences that happen every day of the year, not just 4/20.

Luckily, we've got information and insight on all things marijuana. Like whether it is legal to grow marijuana in a rental unit, a look at new roadside marijuana tests, and a discussion of whether marijuana lawyers are mainstream enough to have an entire legal practice centered around marijuana.

Local laws vary widely when it comes to marijuana. Federal law states it is still a crime, but more than 15 states now permit medical marijuana.

We hope you enjoy our latest crop of marijuana information for today's informal holiday. Be sure to check back on our blogs to see where this evolving area of the law goes next.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options