Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

FindLaw Tackles 5 Common Tax Law Questions

By Andrew Chow, Esq. on January 23, 2015 2:50 PM

We're nearing the end of January, which for many Americans means two things: It's time to get ready for the Super Bowl, and time to get started on your personal income taxes.

As you may recall, FindLaw Insider tackled 10 Super Bowl-related legal issues this time last year, in a blog post that's worth revisiting. So this year, we're going to kick off tax season with some frequently asked questions -- and answers.

What are some of the most common queries about tax law that we field here at Here are five:

  1. What should you do if you didn't get your W-2s? Don't fret -- quite yet, anyway. The deadline for employers to mail out employee W-2 forms is February 1 (which, this year, just happens to be Super Bowl Sunday). After that date, if you still haven't received your W-2 forms, this blog post explains the steps you can take.
  2. For employers, what if you're going to be late with your W-2s? Employers who won't be able to meet the February 1 deadline for mailing W-2 forms to employees can face potential fines; to avoid IRS penalties, employers can ask for an extension, but this must be done before January 31. In addition, employers who are late in filing their W-2s with the IRS can face penalties too.
  3. For individuals, what if you're going to be late in filing your taxes? You probably know that you can request an extension to file your tax return, but remember: If you owe taxes, you must still pay at least 90 percent of your (estimated) tax liability by April 15 or face potential penalties.
  4. If you're unemployed, do you have to file taxes? The answer depends on whether you received any other types of income during the year, such as unemployment benefits and even gambling winnings. You may also want to check out this blog post discussing who doesn't have to file income taxes at all.
  5. Where can you go for more legal help with your taxes? A great place to start is FindLaw's Learn About the Law sections on Federal Tax Laws and Business Taxes. Also check out FindLaw Answers, where you can post questions to our free online discussion board about Taxes. And you can always find an experienced tax lawyer near you at FindLaw's Lawyer Directory.

Here at, our goal is to help you find solutions to your legal issues and questions. If you have any other tax-related legal questions you'd like to toss our way, feel free to do so via Facebook and/or Twitter.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options