Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Search for legal issues
For help near (city, ZIP code or county)
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location

3 Trending Questions From FindLaw Answers

Article Placeholder Image
By Laura Strachan, Esq. on March 09, 2016 8:57 AM

You've got legal questions, we've got answers. If you have not yet asked or answered a legal question on FindLaw's popular Answers community, what are you waiting for? This amazing free resource supports a dynamic community of attorneys and consumers helping each other out. Simple as that.

Here's a look at some of the more popular legal questions posted on our boards lately:

  • I got injured at work. How do I get workers' compensation? Is it different from disability pay?

Workers' compensation can be a confusing issue to try to navigate- especially while you are trying to recover from your injuries and get healthy again! Workers' compensation is a state-mandated program that allows employees and their families to submit claims for injuries, illness and death. Only certain injuries meet the workers' comp requirements so one of the best places for individuals to start is by carefully documenting the nature and extent of their injuries. Workers' comp is different than disability pay and in addition to familiarizing yourself with these important distinctions, many people are also surprised to find out that you cannot accept workers' comp and then sue your current or former employer for negligence. Because of the complicated and time-sensitive nature of any workers' comp claim, it is always best to consult with a workers' compensation attorney.

  • My public defender is doing a terrible job! Can I change my court-appointed attorney?

When you can't afford an attorney, the court will provide you with one but that doesn't always mean that he or she is the right fit for you and your case. To answer the question above- yes, you can change your public defender if he or she is violating your right to adequate representation. Depending on the rules in your particular state, to change your court-appointed attorney will require a letter to the judge in your case or your public defenders office citing the reasons for your desire for a new attorney. Some possible examples include: ignoring important evidence, missing important deadlines or forcing you to enter a plea.

  • I am thinking about renting my beach house for the summer to earn some extra income. I have never done this before, do you have examples of a short term lease?

Under the legal forms tab on the homepage, you can find a lot of great DIY legal forms, including a sample lease agreement. Whether you want to have one renter for the summer or multiple, putting a good lease agreement in place is a great way to protect your property and make some extra money.

Related Resources:

Find a Lawyer

More Options