Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Search for legal issues
For help near (city, ZIP code or county)
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location

Utah Mother Tries to Sell Daughter's Virginity for $10,000

Article Placeholder Image
By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on May 26, 2011 6:44 AM

A Utah mother has been charged with two felony counts of aggravated sex abuse of a child and two felony counts of sexual exploitation of a minor after police learned that she was attempting to sell her daughter's virginity.

The sale price? $10,000.

The advertising? Pornographic photos and a lingerie fashion show.

According to police affidavits, the mother exchanged text messages with two men negotiating the sale of her 13-year-old daughter's virginity, reports the Associated Press.

One of these men reportedly met the pair at a local Victoria's Secret where the girl modeled lingerie for him. The mother also admits that she sent pictures from the encounter to the other man, reports The Salt Lake Tribune.

Luckily, the woman's boyfriend, who the AP reports saw the text messages, reported her to police before she could actually sell her daughter's virginity.

In Utah, even an attempt to commit sexual abuse of a minor is considered a felony. The crime is elevated to aggravated sexual abuse when it is committed by a person who "occupies a position of special trust in relation to the victim," such as a parent.

Sexual exploitation in the state code refers to the production, distribution and possession of nude, or partially nude, photographs of a minor for the purpose of causing sexual arousal.

The photographs sent to the second man fit this definition.

What's most disturbing about this case is that it's very possible that the attempted sale of her daughter's virginity is likely not the first time the mother has violated sexual exploitation laws. According to the Associated Press, the girl told police that she initially agreed to this scheme before deciding otherwise.

Related Resources:

Find a Lawyer

More Options