Block on Trump's Asylum Ban Upheld by Supreme Court
A Bumble Bee Foods factory worker was cooked to death while on the job in Santa Fe Springs, California.
So you might want to hold off a week or two before buying that next can of tuna.
Authorities say that they found the body of Jose Malena inside a device called a "steamer machine." The 62-year-old Malena was cooked to death and investigators are still trying to figure out how he ended up in the cooking device, reports KTLA Los Angeles.
If one were to imagine all the unpleasant ways to die, being steamed to death would probably rank pretty high. Like most factory jobs, a job in a canning factory offers some inherent risks. After all, you're typically dealing with big machines that do powerful things -- like squeezing all that tuna into a can and then sealing it.
As a result, factory employers are required to abide by state and federal safety standards for their employees. This can include the proper instruction on how to use a steamer machine, provision of safety equipment, and general efforts to make the workplace safer.
Malena was a six-year veteran worker at the Bumble Bee Factory. Given his experience, you'd have to imagine that something went terribly wrong for him to end up in the cooking device.
The state is currently investigating whether any health or safety violations occurred, reports KTLA. Malena's family may also be considering filing a wrongful death lawsuit against the employer.
For whatever reason, workplace injuries and deaths tend to be particularly ugly. During the summer, a railroad worker fell to his death while urinating off a 90-foot bridge. Also earlier this year, a New Jersey construction worker fell into a vat of acid, but was fortunately saved by his co-workers.
If you have been injured at work, you might want to talk to a personal injury attorney. Employer liability can be complicated, and a good lawyer can help walk you through the process to recovery.